Friday, September 4, 2009

Alex Clark's English Whimsy

Those of you who have been following my posts know that I usually feature artists who might benefit from a little more publicity, even from as modest a source as my blog. A lot of these clever people over the last year were found at Etsy, but occasionally at other art sites. Our economy is such that things can be awfully slow for creative endeavors, and I simply like to do my bit for those struggling to find recognition.

But when I found Alex Clark's wonderful prints as I browsed yet another English gift shop during my vacation, I knew I had to share her with you. Self-taught, she struggled and made it. We all need that kind of inspiration. I fell in love with her mood with this particular greeting card range. Alex is a loving, warm, funny human being, who thinks she chooses her subjects. However, it's obvious that they chose her to represent their antics, and that she had little say in it, other than to cleverly wield her brushes and pens.

England (as if you didn't know) loves nostalgia, things evocative of hearth and home. Their much-loved classic TV commercials for Bisto Gravy, Hovis Bread, Ovaltine, and Birds Eye custard, along with others, genuinely create a sense of coziness, security and well-being. These ads are downright schmaltzy, but they've been working for years. You can't wait to get home on a winter's eve.

Alex Clark must have grown up with this advertising genre. Me too. And so I present this charming artist in anticipation of fall, with its snuggling-at-home, apple-pie-in-the-oven, hot-chocolate-around-the-kitchen-table yumminess. Alex produces serious classical art too, but these are the images that really appeal to me, especially at this time of the year. Looking at them, I just want to get home.

I'm sorry I can't reproduce these in a larger size, but you can zoom, right?












Her website is undergoing construction, but should be available in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when. Along with her huge variety of prints in various sizes, I believe there are one or two originals still available, and I can't wait to find out more about those.

Have a lovely long weekend making your wistful farewells to summer. Almost time to break out the crocheted throw for the back of the sofa.

1 comment: