Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Scratching Through and Pumpkin Seeds

Linda Sheets of Scratching Through is an innovative mixed media artist I spotted during my daily research. Her paintings are so colorful, although she claims difficulty with color - hard to see it with these bold pictures.





But it was her paper houses that caught my eye. She cuts and pastes strips of paper to her canvas to produce these one-off houses. I've never seen anything like it before. If you saw a posting about it on my writing blog, or you're familiar with my own artwork, you'll know that I have a thing for houses, so naturally I was drawn to these. There's a lot more going on here than immediately meets the eye...those images in the windows, full of mystery and symbolism. Mind you, I still think she's a child at heart. If there's one thing I applaud, it's retaining that child. She gets that.



Scratching Through is now in Great Sites to Visit in the sidebar.

I had to show you Janell Berryman's latest sculpture. Isn't this evil-looking 'Devil Cat' wonderful? I featured Janelle of Pumpkin Seeds a few weeks back. I couldn't resist her latest piece. He's an eye-catching 6 inches tall, and would look great in a window or on a coffee table.



Don't forget that I'm always on the lookout for new art to feature. Email me or leave a comment if you know of someone. It doesn't have to be painting or sculpture, but anything created lovingly by hand which is delightful to look at.

2 comments:

Janell Berryman Pumpkinseeds folk art said...

Thanks Fran! You're such a great supporter of art! ps that scratch art is COOL!

Unknown said...

Wow, Thanks Fran! Sometimes I feel like I'm just scratching away in isolation out here in the country. I appreciate the attention!